Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Climb

Eight thousand steps.

That was what she said.

Eight thousand.

I've done at least seven hundred yet.

Almost ten percent done.


I hope I don't die.

Shut up! Don't think like that.

Steps won't kill anyone.

Well, that's not quite true.

People have died on these steps.

But not me.

I won't die.

Even if the air is getting thin right now.

How does she do that?

How can the guide practically sprint up and down these stairs?

And who made this staircase?

Just look at how rugged these cliffs are. How could anyone do the work of laying these stairs?

But of course, more people died in these mountains before this track was laid.

I can't imagine navigating this place without these steps before me.

Eight thousand steps.

That's what she said.

We've done at least nine hundred now.

That's just over ten percent.

 Subscribe in a reader

No comments: