Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Bourne Ultimatum

I stopped in to see The Bourne Ultimatum yesterday afternoon. I watched the first two movies in the series when they were new, and so wanted to complete it all. I also read the novels by Robert Ludlum many years ago.

I really liked the way these movies were filmed. I thought the framing of the subjects' heads using the bodies of other characters, a technique used repeatedly in the film, was brilliant. It kept giving us a partial view of the speaker. To me, this was a visual reminder that we only ever get partial views of another, and the use of the bodies of other characters reminds that it is our own perceptions (the listeners) that so often veils us from seeing more. Nice.

In many ways, the films are typical Hollywood, but some of the filming techniques I thought pushed that just a little. For such a high profile blockbuster type film, I thought this one was very nicely done.

 Subscribe in a reader

No comments: