Monday, December 11, 2006

Mike and Ike

Mike was in town for only a short time. Ike was working like a mad dog, and was consistently unavailable to meet up with his old pal, even though he knew Mike's time was short.

"C'mon man. I'm not going to be here that long," Mike complained, the cell phone's weak connection adding to his frustration.

"Can't help it. I gotta get the car back upstate this afternoon."

"Alright. I'll tell you what. I'll ride up with you. Then I'll fly back tonight."

"No way you can get a flight back. Not during the holiday season like this."

"But I gotta be back. We've got the meeting on first thing in the morning."

"Not a chance."

"Let me check online."

Within an hour, Mike and Ike were on the road, laughing it up as they drove. Mike sat back, feeling just a little smug about how slick he was, managing to get tickets at such a steal during the holiday season.

The four hour drive seemed to end all to quickly, with Ike pulling in at the airport to drop Mike off.

"It was good to see you, Ike."

"Yeah, well, thanks for going to all the trouble to get these few hours together."

They strode to the ticketing counter together. Within moments, their bravado vanished.

"What do you mean, I don't have a ticket for tonight?'

"No sir. But I do see you listed for a ticket on the 5th."

"But I gotta be back tonight."

The ticketing personnel stifled a smile, the first he'd really felt all during this busiest of travel days.

showintale's blog

No comments: