Sunday, July 08, 2007

Surf's Up

I wasn't much looking forward to seeing Surf's Up, but my nephews wanted to. They, as always, won... and so we went.

It turned out to be better than I thought. While I don't think it is nearly as good a film as Cars, I do find it interesting that it sends a similar message. At the end of the day, winning is less important to both Cody and Lightning than something else. For Cody, it is friendship. For McQueen it is respect for the tradition. For Z (in Surf's Up), it is just having fun.

I like this message. I don't mean to say I don't appreciate competitive sports, but just that winning really isn't everything.

It's interesting to see how this keeps coming up in kids' movies. I guess it is a good match for YMCA-style leagues where everyone's a winner.

 Subscribe in a reader

No comments: