Saturday, September 02, 2006

It was a dark and stormy night

It was a dark and stormy night. Or was it? I can't remember really. I wasn't focused on the weather, all curled up in front of the tube like I was. It was late at night, that I know. Nothing on but reruns. And lousy reruns at that.

But I wasn't watching them anyway, the reruns. I wasn't curled up in front of the TV in some nice cozy stance. Naw. I was curled up clutching my abdomen. I didn't have enough sense to wonder why it was aching so much. All my senses, instead, were caught up in the ache itself. It hurt. My abdomen, I mean. It hurt bad.

I didn't want to make yet another trip to the hospital Surely the frequency of my face being seen in the emergency was beginning to arouse suspicions. Wasn't it? Or was I just another face in the crowd, just another number on the forms filled up? I mean, it wasn't like anyone was calling me by name and offering me coffee while I sat for those countless hours in the waiting room.

But at least he was passed out by this time. If I decided to go to the emergency room again, it wasn't going to be that hard to get out of the apartment. Well, yeah it would be hard. But not because he was trying to stop me. At least not that, this time.

No comments: