Saturday, July 12, 2008

Reluctant Heroics

I finally got to see Hancock last night, and enjoyed it. It was a bit cheesy at times, but still fun overall. I thought the "twist" was a bit predictable, but the friend who watched it with me said she didn't see it coming. (I thought it was given away in an earlier shot.)

I did enjoy the development on the idea of the lonely hero, the isolation of greatness... whatever you want to call it. It's one of those themes that is often explored in superhero stories, and it is a fun one. I really liked the connection, made overt in one comment, between the superhero and similar characters from older mythologies. But the real fun in the movie came via the reluctant nature of the heroics we witnessed. Will Smith pulled his role off beautifully (as always).

One thing I didn't quite like was how the end seemed a little slapped together. How did the "bad guy" suddenly know so much about Hancock's identity and all? That was a little off, but otherwise, I did enjoy the show.


 Subscribe in a reader

No comments: