Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Elfking

I just finished reading Elfking by Susan Price. It was a rather odd book. While in some ways (language) it was easy to read, there was something about it that made it go rather slow for me. It was heavily steeped in Norse mythology. I liked that, but also found it a bit convoluted.

The characters of Elfgift and Unwin didn't strike me the way I felt they were "supposed" to. Somehow, neither was quite sympathetic or dispicable enough. There was something a little too cardboard about Unwin, and a little too glittery about Elfgift. The thing I suppose I ended up enjoying most in the novel was the Norse mythology at its center. But the characters and story, in their own right, didn't do a whole lot for me.

Even so, I did finish the book, and even read the last 150 pages or so in one sitting. It was readable, but the early parts didn't really capture my attention.


 Subscribe in a reader

No comments: