Saturday, December 19, 2009

Edwin Morgan, my introduction to speculative poetry

It's no secret that speculative poetry (including sci-fi, fantasy, horror, the surreal, slipstream, etc.) is very much my thing. But long before I knew that genre poetry had such a big market these days, with loads of new reading material being published within the genre all the time, I first stumbled across it in the work of Scottish poet Edwin Morgan. Morgan quickly became one of my favorite poets, as I devoured everything I could get my hands on.

I moved from there to other "mainstream" poets who had done a good deal of exploring of sci-fi themes in their work. It was only years later that I found places like Sam's Dot Publishing, Dreams & Nightmares, and the Science Fiction Poetry Association — all of which directed me on to more and more magazines, small publishers, and so forth that are producing quality work in the field of genre poetry all the time.

And it felt like finding home.

 Subscribe in a reader

No comments: